18 May 2016

DIY jacket from pashmina (Tutorial)

Gasp! It's an outfit post!

I said I would show you my latest creation.

An old warm but not used pashmina which I wanted to make more useful. I struggle to wear wraps sometimes as they fall off my shoulders when doing housework. So decided to make it into a jacket.

Here are some very crude drawings to illustrate the process.


Fold the pashmina in half widthways. Cut off the amount you would like for sleeves (measure around your upper arm)

Of the remaining fabric, fold the sides to the middle and cut the folded sides.

Cut a shallow curve for the neck (measure off an old tshirt)

Stitch fronts to back at shoulders



Stitch sleeves on at shoulders seams. Fold sleeves in half to mark centre.
Stitch underarm and side seam in one. Don't forget to clip curve so seam will lie flat.
Zig zag the edge or do a fancy buttonhole stitch or a narrow hem or bias binding etc. I was lazy!
A closeup of my result.

In case you're wondering, I got bored with the black one day and needle felted a design.

I love how the fringing looks.

A closeup of the brooch for Kezzie. Go and see her brooch collection. Amazing!

Hood from the underneath top.

Wet look black leggings and black shirt from Black Milk.

Secondhand black wool tunic.

Old brooch bought for University Graduation.

(Unseen) Black cashmere jumper secondhand and felted black vest recycled from husband's moth eaten jumper.

(Don't laugh...I feel the cold!)

Hope you enjoyed this little walk through.

It is certainly a pleasure to wear now.

Do you think you will have a go?

Until next time, keep on creating!

Love,

Jazzy Jack

 

9 comments:

  1. How clever and creative! And it's nice to see you in an outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. D Says Well Done You Clever Girl! What a great way to add something lovely to your wardrobe. Specially love your needle felting and colours. The brooch adds some pzazz too. Looking good and keeping warm too! Have you started a new trend? Love D&M

    ReplyDelete
  3. fab!
    actually you did what all our ancestors did before industrial textile production - and some tribes still do today!
    a handwoven and for that reason narrow piece of fabric is made into a garment without any leftovers because fabric is precious.
    :-)
    very well done - love the flame design you needle felted!!!!!
    xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's blinking brilliant, I love it (and what you're wearing underneath!) Great idea for those fringed sarongs everyone gives to the charity shop after a tropical holiday!
    I love a simple tutorial. Yours is ace. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a brilliant idea! It looks marvellous and I.adore the felting!!! The brooch is the perfect accessory!! Thank you for the close-up and the shout out, that's really sweet!!!Xx
    Nice to see an outfit after so long too!!!x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is off-the-charts cool! What a creative, smart and resourceful idea. I shall never look at a pashmina the same way again (knowing now the secret garment making potential it houses, that is).

    Many hugs & joyful weekend wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really need you here so you can help me add sleeves to my kimono. I pinned it to see what it might look like and it was a mess so I didn't end up doing it.

    Yours turned out beautifully. Especially the felted pattern at the bottom.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooh clever and now you've a garment you'll enjoying wearing! Result! I love the brooch - Kezzie will definitely love that. Stunning luminous green shade. A great idea to add the felted pattern.

    http://petitesilvervixen.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice indeed. With a tutorial too! and needle felting. I've heard of it, but never tried it. Your whole ensemble looks very cool. And such a great sewing space you've got going too.

    ReplyDelete

If a topic has special significance for you, or touches you in some way, I'd love to hear your story!